Friday, May 11, 2007

Laundry on the line



April 19th was National Hanging Out Day, a day which was created to demonstrate how it is possible to save money and energy by using a clothesline. I missed the day, but learned about it from Susan's Patchwork Reflection blog.

When I was a girl, I hung clothes out to dry because my red-haired mother's fair skin would burn in even a few minutes of sun. That excuse didn't work in the winter when it was so cold my fingers felt frozen by the wet clothes.

"Air-drying our clothes would reduce our dependence on environmentally and culturally costly energy sources," according to Project Laundry List. So why don't we do it anymore? I remember the frozen fingers, but I also live in an apartment. There's no way I could dry a load of wash on my postage-stamp-sized patio. Some places forbid clotheslines, but would it be worthwhile to make changes so more of us could hang out clothes? Or is it just too easy to throw the clothes from the washer into the dryer?

Read more about this at Project Laundry List.

3 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Bonnie, thanks for visiting my little corner of cyberspace, and for the link on your blog. We are kinda neighbors, as we are staying near Chattanooga temporarily while my construction husband is building a bank, so I have a few posts about your area while we play tourist. We hail from Ellijay, GA most of the time.

Have a great weekend!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I wish we had a garden to hang out our washing. We don't but we dry our clothes indoors on old fashioned 'clothes horses'!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Also meant to say I love this photo and your whole blog looks really interesting!