Sunday, April 22, 2007

What a beautiful Earth Day!

Today is Earth Day, which I spent with friends and family. In the early afternoon I went to the Zoo with my friend Emily, where our town was having a party for the earth. Children made bird houses, planted flowers along the walking paths, looked shy as they approached animals in the petting zoo, and generally had a great time. When we got to the pen with camels, one scruffy-looking male came over and gave me the eye, as he chewed and swiveled his lower jaw. I gave HIM a look and said, "Don't bother to spit in my eye; I'm wearing glasses." He didn't.

Where my friends were "manning" the tables, I signed a petition to restore weekly curbside recycling in the City of Chattanooga, picked up literature on climate change and global warming, and found a great pendant that said, "I saw the truth -- An Inconvenient Truth." I asked how much, wanting to buy it, so someone went to ask. "Oh, no, it isn't for sale!" the owner said. "Al Gore gave it to me." To forestall anyone else trying to buy it, she slipped it around her neck. I'm gonna see if I can't find one for myself.

After the zoo, Emily and I went to Home Depot, expecting to hunt down the free compact fluorescent blubs they would be giving away. But there was a table outside the door. We parked, we signed our names and zip codes, and the young woman handed each of us a bulb. Ha, it looks exactly like the one I googled Friday and posted (below). And I finished off the day's adventures by going to another party, for my youngest grandchild, who turned SEVEN today. Everything was GREEN at the Zoo, but everything was PINK at her party. When I got home, my neighbors were celebrating Earth Day by planting flowers. The sun was shining, and the temperature here got up to about 82F (that would be about 28C). It's been a very good day, and now I'm tired and ready to sleep.

No comments: